Do you maintain good oral hygiene habits at home? Are you diligent about visiting the dentist’s office every six months? If so, that is great! Seeing a professional on a regular basis is one of the best ways to minimize your risk for more serious oral health problems. In this article, a local dentist will discuss the importance of early detection when it comes to your teeth and gums as well as why maintaining a proactive approach is always best to ensure a longer-lasting smile.
Dental Checkups & Cleanings: What Do They Accomplish?
When it comes to preventive care, you cannot mistake its importance in the dental field. Designed to reduce the risk of cavities, tooth decay, gum disease, oral cancer, and other serious oral health issues, most dentists and dental insurance companies strongly advocate for these services.
The reason six-month dental checkups and cleanings are highly encouraged is that they serve as the initial starting point for early detection. When starting your journey toward better oral health, these regular visits can mitigate problems that can lead to worsening symptoms and costly restorative care.
With a thorough examination, digital diagnostics and imaging, and careful cleanings, dentists can identify even the smallest signs that can negatively impact a person’s teeth, gums, and overall health.
Apart from cavities, gingivitis, worn-down tooth enamel, and bone or tooth loss, dentists are also determining how the problems inside the mouth are affecting the rest of your body. This can manifest in many ways, such as:
- Heart disease
- Respiratory illness
- Negative cognitive function
Why is Preventive Care Important?
If you’re unsure what benefits can come from seeking preventive care, you’ll be pleased to learn there are many advantages you can expect when choosing to better maintain your oral health, such as:
- You will save money in the long run because preventive care reduces your chances of needing restorative treatment, which can be costly and timely.
- You will enjoy a healthier, more aesthetically pleasing smile that allows you to feel more confident when surrounded by others.
- You will receive valuable lifestyle tips to help break bad habits and replace them with healthier, newer ones.
- You will have a licensed dentist monitoring your smile and any changes that occur over the years.
- You can lower your risk of tooth and bone loss, severe decay or infection, or chronic jaw pain caused by an untreated misaligned bite for example.
It’s never too late to start taking better care of your teeth and gums. Take a proactive approach so that you can keep your natural teeth and enjoy a healthier smile as the years go by.
About the Authors
Dr. Thomas Meschke and Dr. Aaron Swingdorf are dentists in Chaska who believe in the power of preventive care. Helping patients take better care of their teeth and gums extends beyond the confines of our dental office. Offering tips and recommendations to use while caring for smiles at home, our team can help patients become motivated to take better care of their smiles year-round. If you would like to learn more, contact us at (952) 448-4151.
We used the following sources to generate this particular blog article, some of which include: